WHO IS THIS PROGRAM FOR?
This program offers support, counselling and education to parents who are concerned about their children who are using alcohol or drugs.
HOW WILL THIS PROGRAM HELP?
The program will help you:
- Understand the progression of substance use in youth, from experimentation to dependency
- Understand the relationship between alcohol, drug use and behavioural change within the context of adolescent development
- Recognize the signs of substance use and its effects on the family
- Apply practical tools to address substance use with children
- Develop effective strategies and coping skills
- Develop a personal recovery plan
- Learn about available resources and establish a personal support network
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Initial Phone Interview
The Program begins with a brief phone interview to discuss your situation and assess your needs.
The Family Spiral Education Sessions
Following the interview you will be scheduled to attend two evening education sessions to learn more about chemical dependency and its effects. click here to learn more.
Parent Program Streams
After the Family Spiral education sessions, you will meet with a counsellor to help you choose which of two Program Streams is best for you:
- The ARCK Stream (Awareness, Responding, Coping and Knowledge), involving eight weeks of two-hour group sessions, with individual counselling as needed; or
- The PEAK Stream (Parents, Emotion-Coaching, Addictions and Knowledge) involving 12 weeks of two-hour group sessions, and an additional four-day, full-time session, for a total duration of 13 weeks, with individual counselling as needed.
Both programs involve lectures and videos to provide education and insight, group sharing, practice exercises, and assignments related to chemical dependency and its effects on the family. You will be guided to identify personal changes you would like to pursue and tools to help reach your goals.
The four-day, full-time session within the Parent Program Stream requires a commitment to full attendance, from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Thursday after the fourth week. Choosing this option provides a more therapeutic experience and the opportunity for participants to practice feedback skills.
The program is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and Ministry for Children and Youth Services, and is free for residents of Ontario.
If you are interested in finding out more about the program, or to register, call 613.724.4881.
Parents and other family members are also encouraged to join a self-help group such as Nar-Anon or Al-Anon.
Our Funders/Partners for the Parent Program are: